At Arrive Outdoors, making outdoor travel sustainable is what we live for. It’s one baby step to help save our beautiful planet, and it’s these steps that help us all climb the mountain to confront the climate challenge of global warming.
Everyone can make an impact with our daily activities. By changing our habits and making choices that have less harmful effects on the environment, we have the power to reduce carbon emissions and build a more sustainable world.
For #ClimateWeek, we’ve outlined a few easy steps you can enact today to be one of Mother Earth’s superheroes who saves our planet!
1. Turn off the lights when not in use & switch to LEDs. Lighting creates 15% of power consumption and 5% of greenhouse gases. Quality LED light bulbs can last 25 times longer, are more durable, and use at least 75 percent less energy than other bulbs. Plus, you’ll save money on your electric bill!
2. Use less (or eliminate) one-time plastic. It’s everywhere - your water bottle, solo cup, shampoo bottle, floss.. Did you know a plastic water bottle takes more than 1,000 years to biodegrade?! Our oceans and landfills are overflowing with plastic that’s destroying the environment and putting toxins in the food and water we’re consuming.
3. Buy local food, produce, and goods. Local food doesn’t travel as far, which helps reduce its carbon footprint.
4. Say no to fast fashion: Buy clothes that last, recycle old clothes, and try renting. A study by United Nations Environment Programme found that the textile industry is responsible for 10% of annual global carbon emissions - more than all international flights and maritime shipping put together. Renting is a great alternative for growing kids and pieces that you won’t use regularly, like Snow Gear.
5. Choose to reuse. By re-using products, you extend the length of its lifespan and reduce unnecessary production (cough cough..check out our Outdoor Gear rentals!)
6. Drive less. Motorized transport creates 23% of carbon emissions.
7. Donate & support organizations who are working with climate science to support the planet.
8. Vote! Environmental policy is key to make a larger impact on climate change. Register to vote today at vote.org.
Want more easy actions you can take each day? The United Nations Act Now page has statistics showing the importance of modifying your daily lifestyle. They also have a chatbot, where you'll get daily tips and track your habits. (Not endorsed, just saving the planet!)